Thursday, April 13, 2017

Orlando Netwars

I am at SANS 511 this week in training.  The course is designed to train crypto and packet capture carving hunting techniques. Sans stands for SysAdmin, Audit, Network and Security. SANS is a world-renown training conference for Infosec professionals. It is the gold standard for the white hat.

What does this have to do with gaming, you might ask? Well, I have found several fellow gamers here. This itself is no surprise.  Many Infosec people know that it takes both left (the creative) and right (the analytical) sides of the brain used at once to be involved with this career - it also helps to be mildly crazy.

I hit the jackpot too because our instructor, Eric Conrad is a highly respected Infosec professional and a big time nerd. Eric proudly showed us Dragon magazine #71 where he did the Boothill module that won third place in the competition. 

I prefer the term geek when speaking about Fandom and gaming myself but he's an old school dnd player.

I guess, when it comes down to it, I am a nerd and a geek. I admit though that SANS is like drinking from a fire hose.

This is my second SANS class. The last one I took was in Vegas and was Sec 504 Incident Handling and Hacker Exploits.  That's right! They teach us to hack...so we can fight the big bads.

They also teach us to hack so we can play Netwars. What's Netwars you ask? Imagine a hundred professional hackers in a room, with beer, a network,  and a game - formatted similar to the movie Hackers but with less Angelina Jolie.

Sans has had two Netwars challenges up until last night - Core and DIFR. Last night I played the blue team Defense Netwars part I. Tonight is part II. I am happy to say that I am on the leaderboard.

The theme is Game of Thrones. That's right, we are Night Watch and we are defending the wall from wildlings, wights, and the darkness by carving packets and breaking encryption keys!

So much fun but also quite a challenge. The reward is the coveted Netwars coins. These coins are special to each event.

So you see... there are games everywhere.  Oh,  it's also Star Wars weekend.

I am in heaven. The only thing that would make it better is if my family were with me.

My handle is cronickain in the challenge. The first ten win awesome coins with got themed sans.

The class challenge is Battlestar Galactica. The blue team game is on the final day six. I have assembled a good team. I hope my team wins it. It's a viper coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment