Saturday, April 13, 2013

DM Advice - Rant - Remember Me - The Human

Over the past years as gaming has "matured" the industry has done something that I am not very much for - they've added so many races that it's hard to tell it's traditional fantasy anymore.  Why is this a problem? Well for starters the companies like to put the races out there as 'player's guides' and then every GM I know feels that they need to allow some of these weird races into their games.

I really do not have a problem per se with Tengu, Catfolk, Batfolk, Crabfolk, Foxfolk or Were Beetles but the problem is that these races to me have a specific setting in which they belong and a traditional fantasy setting just doesn't seem to be the place.  I think that a nice Legends of the Five Rings or even Brushfire's world would be a nice place to go all furry but seriously what happened?  Why do we need all of these races?  As a GM do you let you players use the Pathfinder Advanced Race book or play strange races?  How do you handle it? Yes there are rules etc ad nausim in the books for handling them but I want to know what you do?

After all what happened to the elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling or even the (gasp) human?

Have you ever said "OK I'll run a game but you can only use the Core book?"

Image below used without permission and will be removed if required.  Image is from Disney's Robin Hood. A very good tale told through the anthropomorphic characters below.




6 comments:

  1. my favorites are the pinnipeds and the cetaceans nothing like having no hands, or other psychic ability to manipulate the environment, and pass this nitwitted cretinism off as 'role playing' its more like, as non pc as it is 'tard playing'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if we are playing Tales from the Floating Vagabond you can play a sentient stalk of anti-gravitational broccoli or the moon but you can't play a gerbilman in my fantasy campaign!

      Delete
  2. In the past I've enforced a personal rule that states at least half the PC party must be human. This mainly came about from the days of 1st and 2nd ed AD&D, when aside from level limits, demi-humans were pretty much better choices, in terms of advantages to the character.

    These days now that I run C&C, it's not so much an issue - that extra Prime for the attributes is a powerful incentive to play a human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the 1/2 the party must be human thing. It works out well. I think that people like to play humans especially when the world is well thought out. The problem I am having is that those other types keep popping up.

      For instance, in our Al Qadim game we have a genie touched jansi, a catfolk, a tengu, a ratkin, a different genie touched and a human. It's fun but not something I want all the time. I purposefully allowed them to play this game this way so this isn't a problem.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more. You asked, "how do you handle it?", and it's really a non-issue for me. The campaign setting dictates the available races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Player: "I wanna play a vampire"
      GM: "No"
      P:"But we are playing in Ravenloft."
      G:"Ok make your character."
      Takes sheet from player. This will make a nice npc
      P:"What did you do that for?"
      G:"Well would you want to play a vassal of Strahd the entire game?"
      P:"No guess not."
      G:"Ok well make another character"
      P:"OK"
      Player rolls up vampire hunter instead...

      Delete