Sunday, July 8, 2012

When the Navy Walked - Microarmor

The Future of WTNW?
Ever since I was a little kid playing WWII Quikreig (homebrew rules) with my dad  I can remember playing microarmor. Heck, I still have all of those microarmor minis from GHQ, CinC, Scotia and other companies in my gaming room. What I like about them is that you can really play big battles. Check out my microarmor labels to see some of the games we have played using this fascinating scale.

I have always liked microarmor for large scale battles and what is When the Navy Walked but a large scale battle game?  At first I was hesitant to do smaller scale because I honestly did not want to step on the toes of the Brigade Game's 2mm VSF for the Wessex games but after seeing the success of Dystopian Wars and because of my own desire I have decided to go ahead and give the go ahead to start work on 1/285 scale When the Navy Walked army packs.

These packs will follow the army lists in the When the Navy Walked Core book by section. In each box there will be a leader, ground units, special units or artillery, machines and perhaps a capital unit.  Due to the small size of these figures we will be able to offer the boxed sets at a very reasonable price!  I am still playing with the details but we are also contemplating releasing these boxed sets with counters for the order markers and condition markers for the game. 

Also due to the smaller size we will be able to show the true scale of these giant leviathans in our game when compared next to the infantry. The average capital unit will be between 2" to 5" in size!  I am very excited about this news and personally believe that this scale will suit the game very well. 

By the way, we also have plans to do the airships from the Airships and Skypirates books at a later date but are planning on releasing the British and German faction as early as Spring of 2013!

Some FAQs
"What about the infantry?" 
Good question.  The infantry will be based on stands. There will be various numbers based on these stands but the core rule of three casualties still applies in all cases and the additional infantry will be on the stand to represent the larger units on the field. Three casualties will still remove a stand.

The formations, etc of the infantry also still applies and is just as easy to form with 6mm stands as it is with 15mm or 28mm stands.

"What about distances in the game? Isn't WTNW written for 15mm?"
Yes and no. WTNW was written with many scales in mind which is why we used the term 'stand' instead of unit and we purposefully kept the unit basing to generic sizes as described in the core book.  To handle distances in the game using 6mm we have found that 1/2 movement and keeping all other distances the same (including command range) seems to play out very well.

---------------------
Currently we are going with Brad Shier of Frozen Planet and Jeff of Fortress Figures to sculpt and cast these miniatures.

Anymore questions? Please feel free to ask. I am more than happy to talk about this great news!

Happy Gaming!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh this is very good news, I will definitely pick this up and force on my gaming group :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I am very glad to hear that Nils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke with my sculptor today and he is very much onboard for this project. We will be offering the forces as described in the book as army boxes. At the moment I am not sure about MRSP but it will be somewhere between 50-70 USD per army box. They will be 'heroic 6mm' (couldn't resist).

    ReplyDelete