Friday, May 18, 2012

Gaming as a Business

I often get asked why I do what I do and how I can find the time and still work a full time job.  The answer is quite simple, until one starts to earn enough capital to do this full time the gaming business is only a side deal.  There are many instances of people out there even big names that all have day jobs.  Do I want to have to have a day job? Well I think you can figure out the answer to that but the fact remains that I do and it is a good albeit very challenging one.

Personally, I believe I could do this full-time, design games and write, if only there were enough people out there who wanted the products. This isn't a pity party though it is a business and at the end of the day people will either get what I am selling or they will not get what I am selling.  As it stands right now people are interested but with the economy the way it is people are cautious what they spend their hard earned money on. Really who can blame them? I am excited about the prospect that ICFBTS may be our new flagship game.  It certainly has the potential which is why I have elected to start a full miniature line for the books.  Only time will tell though.  So for now I will continue to write games and novels in my spare time until such time as I am doing this full time. Either way, however, I am a professional.

Tonight, however, I am a DM and as a DM I get to tell stories and take out some of the frustrations of daily living out on imaginary characters and monsters.  Tonight is a very important game for the Dragonlance group.

Reminder: It Came From Beyond the Still : From Reel to Real play test game at my house this Sunday from 1:30pm until 6:00pm.  If you are in the area come on by!

No comments:

Post a Comment