Friday, December 9, 2011

When the Navy Walked - RPG/Skirmisher Question

I have started writing an RPG using a new system for When the Navy Walked. I am a long time role player as well as miniature gamer and I want to offer something that is fun with a full ready-to-use VSF world that contains all the elements of When the Navy Walked. So far it is turning out to be equally as interesting as the skirmisher I am currently working on. What would you like to see in the rpg or in the skirmisher from the world of When the Navy Walked?

What kind of mechanics would you like to see? I am going to heavily rely on Aether as a 'power' that is usable in the game to give players that want 'magical' types something to do but the majority of the game is going to be based on adventure and have a pulpy gentlemanly feel. Likewise, some races such as the Atlantians and Grays will have access to a limited form of psionics.

What I really want to do is to offer a game that is playable both in the short and in the long term. I want to have a richly detailed world featuring elements that you already have seen and some that you have not for When the Navy Walked universe and combine the mechanics of the games that I have loved in the past with a system that is easy to learn and fun to play. Good thing I am not expecting too much.

What do you like about systems? What do you dislike? It's time to get into the nitty gritty while I am working on fluff and race descriptions before we get into the hard core mechanics of the game. I will say I do have a streamlined version of the rules worked out so far but I want to hear from you. What do you like in a game? What do you dislike?

2 comments:

  1. I would like to see an RPG. I think the
    Skirmisher rules can be incorporated directly into the RPG. You do not need two systems. The Skirmish type games work well for combat so why do we need both. Just myh thouhgts

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Indy - I agree with that statement largely but there are some aspects such as command and control that may need some specific treatments on a skirmisher level. I think I am sticking with two systems but what I need to know is what people like about skirmishers. I am considering having a roll to hit, roll to save, roll to wound similar to other skirmishers out there. I am also considering using very similar charts to WTNW for the machines but with more options on damage and different rules for repair. Do you want to see a game where one side goes and then the other side or where each side moves one unit at a time or one where it is driven by the command of the unit? These are the questions I'd really like answered.

    ReplyDelete