Thursday, March 24, 2011

From Under A Rock - Class Counts - Part II

Everyone has a favorite character they like to play. Mine is an Elf Ranger/Bard. I like the combination of the long-distance fighter coupled with the ability to woo the enemy and the occasional damsel. For me, the elf is an extension of my love of the natural world and spiritual connectedness. Then there's the ability to show off as an archer. Let's face it - Elves look cool firing bows. Remember Orlando Bloom as Legolas and the Oliphant? The militant side of the elf appeals to me - it just does. On the other hand, the bardic side allows me to play to the diplomatic side of my personality and there I get to use my leadership skills for the benefit of the group. I get to ham it up but still be in character. For me there's no better combination than an Elf Ranger/Bard though if I had to ask for it all I'd throw in telepath as well.

What's your favorite race/class combo? What is it about it that appeals to you?

5 comments:

  1. As for particular race/class combo, I honestly have no true favorite. Druids and Mages would honestly be my particular favorite classes.

    As for races, Tiefling and Dark Elves (when allowed by the DM/campaign setting) or regular elf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Human/Fighter. The cornerstone of any party. No bells, No whistles just a strong arm and a belligerent disposition.

    ColKG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great responses guys. Why do you deviate to the classes if races? I like your answers. What if anything keeps you from trying something different?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried different. Mages, Clerics,Druid,Theif,Barbarian,Ranger, others and various split classes. I prefer to play a character from 1st level and most of the magic using classes didn't really come into their own until they were up a few levels. Race wise, I just prefer Humans. Most of the other races have inate advantages but humans are the base line. My longest running character was a human fighter that I took from 1st to 12th level in a summer of hard core gaming with a fun dedicated group of players.

    ColKG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normally to play another class, it usually requires the current character I'm playing to wind up dead.

    Then I'll try another class, but if that role in the group is already taken (i.e. meatshield or healer) usually your back to playing the character who died, else one just like them.

    ReplyDelete