Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Eve of War - Finalized Painting of the ME Tripods and Steamtank


These were a lot of fun to paint up! I used a dark black primer (I couldn't resist - the can actually says DARK Black) followed by a heavy drybrush of apple barrel silver over the entire beast. I painted the tenticles and main gun with the silver using a normal technique. The cockpit of the tripod was painted with a hunter green from applebarrel and a thin strip of lighter applebarrel leaf green. I next used the GW chainmail to drybrush the joints of the tripod and added a brassy brass from Vallejo paints to the joints to show a bit of wear and tear. I also added some GW chainmail drybrush to the top of the tripod cockpit to give it a burnished look. The entire piece will be coated with matte sealer.

The Steamtank was primed with Dark Black (That still gets me) and then followed with a drybrush of applebarrel silver and GW chainmail. The boiler was painted with a brass color and then a darker bronze was applied heavily as a drybrush over the entire vehicle. The guns were all painted brass and finished with a bit of silver. I will go back and line with white and yellow to bring some highlights out on the steam tank before it's all said and done.

3 comments:

  1. Very nicely done and painted, dark black even better than normal black:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The walkers do look good..Maybe a bit too much for thunderchild :-D
    I did mean Jeff wayne
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Angry - Thank you. Yes I think that the dark black really brings out the darkness in the tripods.

    @Paul - I want to get a copy of Jeff Wayne's on DVD or CD. Do you know of any that plays in the states? His site says that it was never made in region 2 (or whatever our region is here in the states).

    ReplyDelete