Friday, January 8, 2010

Podcasting the DnD Game

So I have been checking out ways to podcast my game.  I have downloaded some free audio recording software and a free audio RSS converter, Donar MP3 and EasyPod Cast respectively.  There are a few things I am worried about having done blogtalk radio in the past.  1, dead air.  I know gaming brings a lot of silence as people decide what to do with their characters.  Is it a normally accepted practice to just cut out the dead air or is this expected during a game?  2, Real names.  I know my group uses real names and character names interchangeably which might confuse people. I figure I will have to try to get everyone to start calling each other by their character names.  3, Blogstorage.  I have considered both Odeo and Podbean.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these?  4, Volume and/or the ability to hear people during the game.  Right now I only have a basic microphone and my laptop.  Lastly any advice anyone can offer is well accepted and appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Dead air happens, but not as bad (or long) as you might think. If you've got a good group of gamers that are comfortable with each other, and know the rules, it shouldn't be a problem. Looking up rules is the biggest cause for dead air in my experience.

    2. We use podcast 'handles' kind of as a joke at first, but it stuck, plus three of the guys in our group are name Chris. We don't always play the same game either, so using character names isn't an option.

    3. Our podcasts are stored at one of the player's house, he has a server or something to that nature. Apparently when you subscribe to us from iTunes, it's accessing his personal storage, not too sure on the technical particulars.

    4. The microphone unit we use has a 4-way directional mic and it converts the audio files straight to mp3's as it records. We put it in the middle of the table (with an extended arm mic stand) and just push record. We do zero editing and just upload what we record straight from the unit itself.

    Best advice? Just do it, and assume no one's listening, haha. I'm not trying to pimp our own podcast, but just give it a once over. Frankly, it started kind of as a joke; we're a bunch gamers on the back end of their thirties, having fun, gaming, and being total amateurs on air, but somehow it works.

    ReplyDelete