Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Digger and Mk III Steam Tank Revealed!
These are the Disney Atlantis repaints that I did earlier this week and over the weekend. I really wanted them to look like the steam bots I painted and to give them a generic look so that I might use them for various VSF projects. I wanted them to look dirty and I wanted them to look like they belonged in the Victorian Period. The first thing was to get rid of the glossy paint that some poor kids in China probably got paid less than I pay my dog to be a dog. To do this I sprayed with a black primer. Next I wanted to get that metal bronzy look that is so fashionable on antiques. To do this I tried a new technique using a spray paint I used on my Steam punk props and then applied a little antique finish using a hammered paint. To give it texture I applied a brush when it was still drying. I then went back and lightly spraypainted the entire model black before giving it a liberal dry brushing of silver and then light bronze. As a final step I painted the gadgets and the rivets on the two machines. I was happy with the result. You can hardly tell plus turning around the turret for the bridge layer really made it look very authentic.